What are the myths and misconceptions about psychedelics?

Making sure you have the best information based on science.

There are many myths and much misinformation about magic mushrooms – some of it spread by governments. The truth is, there have been no reliable reports of anyone dying from ingesting psilocybin mushrooms. They are nontoxic to the point that it’s nearly impossible to poison yourself. It has been said you would have to eat your weight in mushrooms to receive anything like a lethal dose – that may be an exaggeration, but a toxic dose of psilocybin mushrooms would be measured in pounds or kilograms rather than grams. Tales, legends and news reports about people dying from eating mushrooms usually turn out to be cases where people have eaten toxic mushrooms, believing them to be psilocybin; other reports involve other drugs or chemicals, or are simply false.